Historical

  In 1975, during the excavation works in Tibisir hill chalk quarry, there were discovered churches carved in rock, galleries of graves and houses built on blocks of chalk.
Archaeologists have determined that it is an ancient human settlement.
  And the discovery shows the existence of this town before 992 AD, 1200 year old.
The town was in the path of migratory people, so the settlement had to be resistant, therefore it was dug in chalk, to evoid distruction.
  Reliable and valuable data on the history of the town are found in documents after 1800 and 1850, when the “cojani”and “mocani, descendants of shepherds were established here, and the ones who came from Vrancea and Transilvania.
  The first name of the town was Murfatlar. The name comes from the tatar word „Murfat“, meaning the descendants of Murfat. After 1855 the settlement was populated  by a turkish garrison, and after that by the tatars from Crimeea.

At the time it had a mosque and several houses.
  The name Murfatlar was kept until 1921, when several localities in Dobrudja were renamed after a bill, including Murfatlar into Basarabi.
   The new name was kept until 1965 when it was changed again to Murfatlar and kept like that for 10 years. From 1975 the town was called Basarabi.
  In 2007 the local authorities requested a name change, from Basarabi to Murfatlar. This was approved by the government and put into practice with the support of the Mps from Constanta.
  Siminoc village name comes from the flower of the same name which is abundant in these places, the old Turkish name of the village is Turmuflat.